How To Care For Your Jewellery
Metal jewellery has often been mistaken as being invincible... but unfortunately, that’s not the case (we wish). As with anything, jewellery can unavoidably tarnish at different rates depending on a variety of external factors. At Murkani, our products are handcrafted with high-quality materials by our skillful artisan team. But we know all jewellery requires a little extra TLC to keep it in its best condition. We have tried and tested all the methods and come up with the best tips for you to let your jewellery sparkle and shine for all the years to come.
- Storage is key! To prevent or slow down tarnishing, please store your Murkani Jewellery pieces in an airtight jewellery box, pouch or even a plastic zip-lock bag. We always prefer to use zip lock bags. They may not be glamorous, but they really do work! They stop the oxygen from getting in and oxidising your silver jewellery which in turn, prolongs the colour of your jewellery.
- A natural way to prevent tarnishing of your Sterling Silver jewellery is to wear it often because the oils in your skin help prevent tarnish. Please note that Sterling Silver is a very soft material, so we suggest being gentle and using non-abrasive cloths when wiping it.
- Keep them clean: it's always a good practice to clean your jewellery giving it some extra TLC. This will prevent any unwanted chemicals from building up and slow down the tarnishing process. We advise gently rubbing the surface using a jewellery polishing cloth (which can be purchased here), It is also beneficial to when necessary clean your piece using a jewellery cleaning liquid. This gives it a full clean. You can find them here.
- How to untangle a knotted chain: First, undo the clasp. Next, dab olive oil on the knot and lay the chain on a flat surface. Using two pins, set to work untangling the knot. Then clean the chain, by following step 3. More information about caring for jewellery can be found.
- Life happens… we get it! Accidents can happen, we understand. In the case of losing a pair of Murkani earrings that you adore and would still like to wear, we are happy to replace one earring at the price of 50% of the full price. Please email email@example.com for a replacement. We don’t want that one lonely earring ending up in the bin.
- Do not wear Murkani jewellery when swimming, showering or undertaking vigorous exercise or anything else that involves getting your jewellery wet or exposed to extreme heat. While our jewellery can get wet, we try to extend the life by treating it carefully. Contact with these substances can increase the rate at which tarnishing occurs.
- Please avoid contact with chemicals. Remember to always put your jewellery on last to avoid contact with foundation, perfume or lotion. To go a step further, we would advise you to take off any jewellery that may come in to contact with water and soap when washing your hands.
- Avoid storing your jewellery next to heating vents, in direct sunlight or the bathroom. Damp and hot conditions will cause your beautiful pieces to tarnish more quickly.
- Don’t use any abrasive cleaners or paper-based cleaning towels. Using these products can scratch surfaces. Instead use the cleaning cloth your Murkani jewellery came in or a purpose made jewellery polishing cloth, available here.
- Don’t store your jewellery pieces all together. If you have multiple pieces, they should go in separate bags to avoid the pieces scratching and damaging each other.
We hope these tips help and keep your jewellery nice and sparkly. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or for more information on how to care for your Murkani Jewellery please visit: https://murkani.com.au/jewellery-care/